Hunger Hike 2013
This SUNDAY, September 15, 2013
12:30 p.m. | Riehle Plaza, downtown Lafayette
An Annual Event to Help Feed the Hungry
More info, click HERE | www.HungerHike.org | #HungerHike
How does the Hunger Hike help?
Hikers and their sponsors help meet the needs of hungry families in greater Lafayette, surrounding counties and Haiti. Donations go to food programs at the Lafayette Urban Ministry, Food Finders Food Bank, and St. Thomas Aquinas Haiti Ministry. Thousands of low income families depend on these programs for food security. What should I know about hunger?
- There are 870 million people in the world who do not eat enough to be healthy. That’s one in eight. (United Nations World Food Programme)
- At least 15% of American households are food insecure. (USDA Economic Research Service)
- Over 9,000 (43%) Tippecanoe County school children receive free or reduced price lunches. (Indiana Youth Institute)
- Food Finders Food Bank distributes more than 6 million pounds of food annually to Tippecanoe and 15 surrounding counties.
- At $250 per capita income, 80% of the rural Haitian population lives in poverty. (World Bank)
- The St. John’s/LUM Food Pantry serves 2,000 Tippecanoe County residents every month.
How much should I donate? One helpful suggestion is to consider a donation equal to 10% of your monthly food budget or the cost of fast food meals for a month. To donate to Hunger Hike, click HERE.
Sign up today to raise money for Hunger Hike — create an online fundraising page, click HERE.
Join LUM online and help us serve children and families even better.