LUM Milestones

October 26, 2012 – LUM 40th Birthday

LUM celebrated its 40th birthday with the launch of a Facebook page, Twitter account, Google+ page, and Linked In group and company.

April 27, 2012 – LUM 40th Anniversary Follies

LUM celebrated its 40th Anniversary with the 40th Anniversary Follies at St. Andrew United Methodist Church with a talent show and silent auction.

August 19, 2011 – Youth Program Center named in honor of Ray Ewry

Olympic gold medalist and native of Lafayette Ray Ewry is a former Purdue University athlete who accumulated his record total of 10 gold medals in four Olympiads. He won three gold medals apiece in 1900 and 1904 and two each in 1906 and 1908.

2011 – Asset Building Classes started

In 2011, Twenty-two households were provided classroom education in personal finance and home ownership.

2011 – Good Samaritan Program started

Emergency Fund Assistance Program which was established in the mid 1970’s was renamed Good Samaritan Program. In 2011, the Good Samaritan Program provided assistance in averting eviction, utility disconnects and other financial crises 2187 times sharing $99,934.90.

May 2011 – 5th Quarter Program started

In 2011, 39 children participated in LUM’s new summer learning retention program. Significant increases in reading comprehension and math computation skills were documented.

2010 – Achieve! Program started

In 2011, 35 teens at-risk of dropping out of school were provided academic, social, life-skills and emotional support.

2010 – New Opportunity Fund established

In 2011, five individuals were helped from this special merit-based fund designed to help LUM shelter guests move into a home of their own.

2009 – ID Clinic program started

In 2011, 114 individuals received help in cutting through the red tape associated with re-establishing their legal identities.

2009 – LUM launched the Campaign for the Future

After a comprehensive strategic planning process in 2008 the LUM board commissioned a $2.8 million dollar Campaign for The Future that will position the ministry on the cutting edge of services to our community’s needy children and working families well into the coming decade. Through a combination of new program initiatives and capital improvements, the Lafayette Urban Ministry will help those it serves to escape poverty. At-risk children will learn to achieve more in school. Low-income parents will be offered the tools to become more self-sufficient. More than $2,781,646 was raised in gifts and multi-year pledges from 650 donors. Over 150 volunteers were involved in this two year campaign.

2006 – Case Management started

In 2011, Two hundred three LUM emergency shelter guests were offered help in moving off the street, out of LUM’s shelter and into a home of their own.

February 2002 – Income Tax Assistance Program started

In 2011, 1358 working families were served. Almost $2.5 million in refunds and tax credits were secured.

August 1999 – After School Program started

The Enhanced After School Program is housed in the LUM Ray Ewry Youth Center. In 2011, 69 children were provided academic support and education enrichment in a fun environment each day after school.

1998 – RESPECT Program started

RESPECT Program started and continued through 2008. RESPECT stands for Reducing Early Sex and Pregnancy by Educating Children and Teens.

1995 – Bishop Higi helps LUM dedicate new Program Center and Shelter

1993 – LUM Food Pantry merges with St. John’s Food Pantry

In 2011, the LUM/St. John’s Food Pantry accommodated 7968 household visits for emergency food aid. The St. John’s/LUM Food Pantry is the largest volume food pantry in west central Indiana. Open four mornings a week, the pantry provides emergency food to hungry children and adults. Volunteers staff the pantry, purchase food, and keep the facility stocked and clean.

September 1992 – Hunger Hike started

Evolving from the Hike for Hunger and the Crop Walk, LUM’s Hunger Hike started in September 1992. In 2010, Hunger Hike added a 5K run. In September 2012, over 900 participants of Hunger Hike raised over $80,000.

October 15, 1990 – Joseph “Joe” Micon appointed Executive Director

On October 10, 1990 Joseph Micon received a final interview by the LUM Board and was appointed as LUM’s third Executive Director with duties to begin October 15,1990. A Roman Catholic, Micon was a product of Catholic education. He received his Master’s Degree in Social Work from Indiana University in 1983 with a special training in the administration of Not-for-Profit organizations. He had served various LUM staff capacities since 1980. Like LUM’s previous directors, Micon also shares a strong commitment to integrating the charitable components of social ministry with the social justice components. A special emphasis on the problems of children and families in poverty helps direct the program. Let’s Do Lunch, the CCHIP, childhood hunger study, and a babysitting room for LUM clients were new additions to LUM’s program. In addition, LUM’s food pantry, homeless shelter and centralized emergency fund were all expanded. New advisory councils for pastors as well as LUM clients were added by the Board.

1988 – Indiana Welfare Watch established

After a year-long evaluation in 1988 the Poor Relief Task Force was reorganized into Indiana Welfare Watch. Still active in policy concerns of needy Hoosiers, the program grew to include a Board controlled by the welfare recipients and a more comprehensive issue agenda. 1988 also saw the formation of Local Government Watch, a community based organization of 200 LUM clients seeking to influence reforms in the administration of poor relief in Fairfield Township.

1987 – LUM builds at 525 N 4th Street — includes Emergency Shelter

The shelter was housed on the second floor of LUM’s 8th street office and was moved to St. Boniface Church in 1987. Subsequently, the shelter was included in the main LUM building when it was built at 525 N. 4th Street. In 2011, the LUM emergency shelter provided overnight shelter to 474 individuals who stayed an average of 20 nights.

November 27, 1986 – Thanksgiving Celebration started

In 2011, the Community Thanksgiving Celebration served 800 individuals at Central Presbyterian Church on Thanksgiving Day.

1983 – Social Justice Ministry started

1984 – LUM & St. Tom’s establish Lafayette’s first Emergency Shelter

In 1984 LUM and St. Thomas Aquinas established Lafayette’s first emergency shelter for the homeless. The shelter was housed on the second floor of LUM’s 8th street office.

1983 – LUM starts Food Pantry, Community Gardens and more

By 1983 LUM’s self-help programming had grown to include several community gardens, gardening assistance, and food buying clubs. The host/hostess program was bringing hundreds of church members to LUM each year as ministers of hospitality. And a food pantry had established itself in LUM’s basement as an outgrowth of the advocate program.

December 1980 – Jubilee Christmas started

Jubilee Christmas started in December 1980 serving 50 families at Central Presbyterian Church. In December 2011, 1795 children received gifts of new toys and clothing on Christmas morning from their parents or legal guardian.

1979 – First issue of the SEED Newsletter published

In March of 1979 the first issue of the SEED newsletter was published. It was targeted at LUM supporters and those in member congregations who shared a special call to social ministry. Rev. Dolphin made himself available to preach in LUM member churches and began to strengthen strong ties with local media. News coverage of LUM program and issues facing low-income families identified LUM as a strong advocate for the poor in our community.

1978 – Advocate Program adopted by LUM Board

In August of 1978, the LUM Board voted to adopt the Advocate Program. It had been housed in LUM as an independent program since the mid-seventies under the direction of Joan Hawbaker. In 1979 permanent staff was hired to direct the program. Caseloads increased, due in part to a growing national recession, and by the end of 1980 the program was serving over 100 families each month.

November 20, 1976 – LUM offices move

On Sunday, November 21, 1976, LUM executive director hosted an open house in their new home at 12 N 8th Street, Lafayette.

1975 – LUM establishes Emergency Fund

LUM’s early programming was organized around three general issue areas: community development, youth, and aging. A Spanish-speaking and revenue sharing task force were started. The centralized emergency fund also began with the financial support of 13 churches. Seventy-two people were helped in 1975. Adventure clubs and summer camp continued for youth. Good friends and volunteer transportation programs were geared toward the low-income aged.

October 26, 1972 – LUM Articles of Incorporation — Approved & Filed

The Lafayette Urban Ministry was officially incorporated as an Indiana Not-For-Profit Corporation on October 26, 1972. Seven churches were represented as charter members: Covenant Presbyterian, St. Andrew United Methodist, First United Methodist, Central Presbyterian, Dayton Presbyterian, Hope Chapel, and Bethany Presbyterian.

1972  – LUM offices given space by Central Presbyterian Church.

LUM offices were located in the Education Building of Central Presbyterian Church – 31 N 7th Street, Lafayette.

December 1971 – NDP reorganized as the Lafayette Urban Ministry

The effort to bring about a full-time “urban ministry” proceeded quickly in 1971. The December Board minutes included the final action in the emergence of LUM:

“Mrs. Dee Tritchler moved and Les Gaylor seconded to change the name of the Neighborhood Development Project to Lafayette Urban Ministry, passing all the assets and liabilities of the one to the other. This was passed unanimously by all present. Rev. Beswick moved and Les Gaylor seconded to ask Central Presbyterian Church for office space in 1972. This passed unanimously.”

December 1970 – 1971 Goals Set to establish “Urban Ministry”

By December of 1970, the vision of a broader ecumenical urban ministry began to take form. The NDP Board minutes for that month include the following entry:

“Rev. Elly, having decided that this should be the last year he serves as both pastor of Hope Chapel and Coordinator of NDP, considered the important objectives of 1971 should be:
1) to get Lafayette churches to contribute funds of approximately $10,000 for the salary and housing of a full-time director of NDP.
2) to receive approval from the Presbytery of the terms of a call to that position, and,
3) to seek the cooperation of the United Methodist church and the Roman Catholic Church in obtaining a second staff member for this urban ministry. The Presbyterian churches will need to approach other churches with a fairly definite plan and the question of whether they want to be included.”

September 1969 – NDP invites other churches

By September 1969, Covenant, Bethany, and Faith Presbyterian churches joined NDP making it a multi-church ministry. A small amount of funding and some guidance was received from the Presbytery of Crawfordsville’s National Missions Committee. By the end of the year, NDP had its own constitution, by-laws, and articles of incorporation. Rev. Elly continued to be very active in NDP serving as its coordinator.

1967 – Hope Chapel called the Rev. Ron Elly as its new pastor

After the retirement of the Hanstras in 1966, Hope Chapel called the Rev. Ron Elly as its new pastor. Rev Elly was installed in June 1967. He began his ministry with a commitment to blending the spiritual dimension of faith with the social dimensions. He saw his call as an opportunity for parish, pastoral, and community outreach ministry.

1966 – Advisory Board created

During the fall of 1966, an advisory board was created to watch over NDP and its use of Hope Chapel facilities.

July 1965 – LUM Camp started

In 2011, 83 campers participated in a week-long, overnight camp.

1962 – Neighborhood Development Project started

Although the Lafayette Urban Ministry was officially incorporated in 1972, its roots go back to 1962 and the work of the Neighborhood Development Project. NDP was started by a Purdue University student along with Doris Hanstra, wife of Hope Chapel Presbyterian Church pastor Rev. Peter Hanstra. Operating out of Hope chapel, NDP offered crafts and camp programs which attracted mostly southside neighborhood youngsters.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s